Back Pain Treatment: Non-Surgical Options for Pain Relief
People struggle with all types of pain. However, the one most prevalent is back pain. If you think about it, you use your back every day for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much to sustain an injury. However, back pain is also the result of some illnesses, such as cancer and rheumatoid arthritis. No matter what the cause of your pain is, a top-rated pain management clinic in Brooklyn, NY, can help.
Most Common Causes of Back Pain
According to the Mayo Clinic, back pain is often the result of one of these five things:
- Pulled Tendon or Muscle — This can occur when lifting something heavy the incorrect way. However, sleeping in an awkward position is another cause.
- Illness — Several illnesses can cause back pain, such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, reflex sympathetic dystrophy, and osteoporosis.
- Disc Problem — This includes ruptured or herniated discs, as well as spinal stenosis, which occurs due to a narrowing of the space around the spinal cord. That then puts pressure on nerves.
- Inflammation — Back pain associated with inflammation occurs due to any number of things, such as an infection or overuse.
- Stress — When you feel stressed, you usually tighten your muscles, which includes the back muscles.
Viable Treatment Options
Whether you experience neck, upper back, or lower back pain, the right pain clinic in Brooklyn, NY, can make a world of difference. It’s important to note that some clinics focus on a specific type of pain or have limited medical experts on staff.
For that reason, you want to choose a pain management clinic in Brooklyn with a diversified team. As a result, doctors in many different areas would all work together to help you feel better. That includes those who specialize in neuromuscular rehabilitation, internal medicine, chiropractic, neurology, orthopedics, and physical therapy for back pain in Brooklyn.
As far as treatment options, a board-certified doctor determines the best course of action based on your specific type of back pain, the area involved, the intensity, and the goal. For instance, if you have limited mobility due to pain, the objective is to improve that.
The following are the most common treatments used by a reputable neck, upper back, and lower back pain clinic in Brooklyn, NY. Keep in mind, there are other options, as well.
- Nerve Block — This involves an injection of an anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, or steroid medication to block the path of pain. In some cases, you might need more than one injection. Also, doctors may have to try different drugs to find the one that yields optimal results. By turning off the pain signal, you should notice an improvement quickly.
- Epidural — You might’ve heard of this for childbirth, but an epidural also works great for treating back pain. Because this involves an injection of medication in the space surrounding the spinal cord, it’s essential that you choose a pain management clinic in Brooklyn, NY, with a board-certified neurologist on staff. Most often, this helps alleviate pain associated with inflammation.
- Radiofrequency Ablation — In this case, a doctor uses an electric current to either heat up or destroy a small area of nerve tissue. By doing so, it stops the pain signal from going to that particular part of the back.
Contact Us Today
For outstanding pain management in Brooklyn, contact Metro HealthCare Partners today to schedule an appointment.